Hi Rich,

It sounds like you need to call your ISP's tech support and get them to go
through your settings with you.

Another thing you might want to try is the connections tab of your options
dialog box.

I thought of this when I read your last message.

One question you should ask yourself is if you dial-up when you retrieve
your mail, or do you dial-up before you open Outlook Express?

If you do the latter, then you definitely have to call your ISP and get them
to talk you through your settings to see if they are configured properly.

If, on the other hand, you connect when you download your mail, you might
want to set your options to use any connection available.

To do this, press the alt+T then the letter O for Options.

Once in the dialog box, control tab over to the connections tab, and see
what you have set in there.

The first check box should be checked.  This is the box that says ask before
switching internet connections.

The second one should be unchecked and this is the one that says hang up
after sending and receiving.

Tab once more and you'll land on a change button.

If you use the Jaws cursor by pressing the minus key on your number pad, or
the jaws key plus the letter P on your laptop, then arrow up to read the box
that's there.

This box should say Outlook Express shares your connections settings with
Internet Explorer.

If it does indeed say that, then activate the PC cursor by pressing the plus
symbol on the number pad or the jaws key plus the semi-colon on your laptop.

At this point, tab over to o.k. and exit the dialog box.

The second thing you should check is the connection settings for your
account.  You do this by pressing alt+T again, then press the letter A for
Accounts.

Once in the dialog box, highlight the account you use, as I outlined on my
earlier post, and tab over to the properties button and press the space bar.

Once in that dialog box, control tab over to the connections tab again, and
see what you have in there.

Jaws should say a bunch of stuff that includes if this account requires you
to connect using a specific internet connection, you may override the
default settings, blah, blah, blah.

You should land on a checkbox that says always connect to this account
using...

This checkbox should be unchecked.  If it is checked, then by all means go
ahead and uncheck it by pressing the spacebar.

At this point, tab over to the apply button, then shift tab over to the o.k.
button and tab over to the close button on the dialog box that's left.

Hopefully, this will do the trick.

I can't stress enough the importance of calling your ISP if this doesn't
work.

They have a responsibility to ensure you are able to connect at all times
when you want to.

You pay for the service, they should be able to provide reasonable assurance
that there is nothing wrong on their end, in other words, their server is
functioning properly and all that.

They have a list of things to check to make sure that you are configured
properly.

I would also recommend you call them using a cell phone, as you may want to
leave the land line open to make sure you are connecting properly once
they've made the changes.

You also have to make sure to tell them that you are using assistive
technology, as they may want to change settings that can't be changed
because Jaws requires it.

Let us know what happens.

Victor