David - this is very interesting.

A restore backup via DVDs is an option I am considering for my laptop
because of problems using and external drive.

I have been trying out a utility called CD Check which verifies the
integrity of CDs and DVDs,  and incidentally it also offers file recovery
tools for corrupted discs. The utility is apparently free for personal use.
It occurs to me with restore discs as important as these that a utility to
fully check them over from time to time might be useful. I believe the
utility offers early warning when discs might be about to fail. One method
might be to have a backup set of the restore DVDS to refer too if this
utility identifies problems.

Accessibility on the Utility is not great and you have to use the Jaws
cursor a lot to operate controls and read results. Having said that I have
been able to run a check on a Cd and read an error report. There are lots of
graphic buttons which may have to be labelled to make it really nice to use.

If you want to have a look, I got the utility from
http://www.softwarepatch.com/software/cd-recovery.html

Regards

David Griffith