-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of David Griffith
Sent: Wednesday, 12 March 2008 05:49
To: 'michael finnigan'; jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] powerpoint with xp

I think PowerPoint is very awkward to use for someone who is visually
impaired and personally I think it is over rated anyway. Remember any
program can be projected.

. If you are really going to do it I would work with Outline files in Word
and import them into PowerPoint. Be prepared to use a lot of the Jaws Cursor
and have a uncomfortable time.

However I really really think it is largely a waste of time using a
difficult program  when you can use Word to get at least 95% of the  same
presentation effect  using full screen view.

Just do the following in 4  stages .

1. Write your Presentation in word.
2. Use the following keystroke to apply the equivalent of title heading
levels in PowerPoint. Select a line of text and then simply
- Control - Alt 1 for Heading Level 1-
Control - Alt 2 for Heading Level 2
- Control - Alt 3 for Heading Level 3
You use Control Shift N to return to normal size text but this can be hard
to read on a Projector screen so I would stick to the heading styles for
your presentation.

2.  Apply any fancy borders, shading, font colours or page colours you want
through the format menu.  Insert graphics and other features in the Insert
Menu.

3. Go to the view Menu and Change Word to  Full Screen mode. This will make
Word virtually indistinguishable from a PowerPoint slide show view.

4. Personally I would leave it at that and simply scroll through your
presentation which Jaws will  read to you as it is shown on a Projector.  If
you really want / need a slide effect you have some options.

A.  Edit your presentation so that you can Use the page down key to move
down a screen at a time.  The disadvantage is that Jaws does not read as you
go. You could try control down arrow which theoretically does but this does
not work well in my experience.
B. Open a separate document for each "Slide" and close then as you work
through your presentation. This has the advantage of you not having to edit
your presentation into "screen Chunks."
 Not too good for really long presentations but long presentations  are
probably a bad idea anyway.
An Academic recently told me that PowerPoint fancy features had a very poor
learning effect. Apparently research has shown that people retain a memory
of the effect but not the content associated. The modern academic trend is
now anyway to move to simpler presentations of content as this is apparently
retained better.

Regards

David Griffith