Hello Jerry,

It is quite difficult to give step-by-step instructions as there are so many
variables.  Considerations include the type of source file being used, whether
or not you are going to type in the information directly on the label, etc.
Below my signature block in this message are steps I put together for a client
a couple years ago.  The source file is an Excel worksheet we used with the
following column titles:  Title, Last Name, First name, Address, City, State,
Zip.  Let me know if you want me to send you this example Excel source file for
practice.

Take care.

Brian Lee

brianl...@charter.net

Mail Merge for Labels in Word 2013

1.       Start with a blank document.

2.       Go under Mailings tab using Alt with M.

3.       Tab to the start mail merge submenu and use spacebar.  You can also
just click on that choice with the mouse.

4.       Arrow down to labels and press spacebar or click on the labels menu
item.

5.       Pick the label vendor such as "Avery US letter" and pick the number of
the label to be used.

6.       For example, if you pick Avery US letter and then tab to the list of
numbers you can scroll up or down the list of numbers using the mouse or by
using up arrow, down arrow, page up or page down keys until focus is on the
number to be used.  I am choosing Avery US letter with 5160 as the number.
This is an easy peel label.  If I tab to the Details button and press spacebar
I can find the label size, number of columns across the sheet and number of
rows down the sheet.  Label height and width and other details are also shown.

7.       After checking details use OK button.

8.       If you didn't use the Details dialog then tab to the OK button and use
spacebar.  Do the same if you have already used the OK button in the Details
dialog.

9.       Agree to let Word remove existing information from document by using
OK.

11.   Click on the "select recipients" submenu.

12.   Choose "use an existing list"

13.   In the "select data source" dialog browse to the source file that
contains the records to be merged to labels.  In our practice it is "Test for
Mail Merge from Excel."  You need to browse to the folder that contains this
file and then click on the file name to open it.

14.   A list of tables and worksheets in the workbook appears.  In our case we
want to select sheet 1.  Use down arrow key to make the choice.

15.   Make sure in this dialog box that "First row of data contains column
headers" is checked.

16.   After selecting sheet1 and making sure that check box is checked (because
our first row does contain column headers), use the OK button.

17.   If you want to edit the recipients list then choose that button under the
mailings tab.  This will let you sort, filter, find duplicates, etc.
For example, in the sort dialog you can choose which field to sort by first and
what a secondary field will be for sorting.  You can also choose whether
records are sorted in ascending or descending order for first or secondary
sorting.

18.   If you use this dialog then when done making choices use the OK button.

19.   Use OK again if necessary.

20.   You can now insert your fields the way you want them.  The fields only
need to be set up in the first label and Word will fill the other labels in
according to the way you have the fields in this first label.  You insert a
field at a time by going under the mailing tab and using the “insert merge
field” button.  Remember to format the label exactly as you want all labels to
appear.  If you insert a merge field for title, then after inserting the field
you will want to use a space before inserting the first name or last name
field.  Before inserting the address field you will want to use the enter key
to start a new line.  After the address field is inserted use enter key to move
to a new line.  Immediately after the city field use a comma and a space before
inserting the state field.  Use one or 2 spaces after the state field before
inserting the zip code field.

21.   When the last field is entered go back under mailings tab and use the
Update Labels button.

23.   You can print the labels by choosing "print documents" from the list of
options that appear, send email messages or edit individual documents.  Choose
to edit individual documents.

24.   Choose the "All" radio button in the resulting dialog box and use the OK
button.

The above steps should complete the merge and the document should show all
labels filled in from the source information.  You can print the document using
a sheet of labels and labels should be filled in correctly.  If you choose to
print labels instead of editing the existing document then the Print dialog
appears and you can print the sheet directly.