I've still got JAWS version 9 running on this Windows XP machine, along with
Microsoft Word 2003 and Outlook Express.
I also have a Windows 7 laptop with JAWS 17 instaled. But sadly, on that
computer, JAWS seems to get stuck and has to restart itself rather more
frequently than I like. I can tell you, that makes for some very anxious
moments when speech stops and will not restart.
My advice is, do what you need to, in order for you to do your job. If a newer
version would give you better productivity, by all means upgrade it if you can.
In my case, if I want to use Windows 7, I have to use the later JAWS version.
But after several attempts to fully upgrade, I only use that system as a backup.
Conversely, if you find that a piece of software isn't helping you, and you're
spending time trying to force it to perform its function, it's best to go to an
earlier version or try another program.
This is why I use the fine port someone made of Outlook Express to Windows 7.
Why? because other email programs (and believe me, I've tried many) don't meet
the requirements which OE has met for all these years.

-------
I am, therefore I think.
Ande