Hello;
Well, 2 things come to mind,
First, you need to set the pop3 in the gmail settings,
Secondly, you may need to change the security, in order for your friend to
receive gmail into outlook express.
This goes for, windows live mail, outlook express,
The instructions are below.

Let's try this;

1, go to:     https://www.google.com/settings/security/

2, I'm assuming you've already signed into the account,

3, go down to the bottom of the page, ctrl+end key,
Now work your way up you should see/hear;

Allow less secure apps: ON

Some apps and devices use less secure sign-in technology, which could leave
your account vulnerable. You can turn off access for these apps (which we
recommend)
or choose to use them despite the risks.
Check your privacy settings
Your security comes first in everything we do.

So, what you're looking for is;
Allow less secure apps: OFF,
Down arrow
You will see/hear a checkbox to turn the security level on,
And if you down arrow you may see a save button, or you just may hear;
updating your settings.
Just go back up arrow and see if you hear,
Allow less secure apps: ON
Hope this helps,
If you need help, let me know.

You will receive a message from google,
Something like this,

Access for less secure apps has been turned on