From: JAWS-Users-List [mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On Behalf
Of Fernando Gregoire
Sent: Sunday, July 2, 2017 1:37 AM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] EPub publications

Hi Gary,
Epub format itself is very accessible to screen readers, because content is in
HTML format and, unlike PDFs, there's a table of contents marked as such thing.
However, although there are many Epub reading software, there are few
accessible alternatives in Windows. You can use the Epub Reader Firefox add-on,
which offers good navigation and reading support but displays the table of
contents as links instead as a treeview.
Theoretically Adobe Digital Editions is accessible, but, being higly focused on
copyright protection, it only sends content to screen readers through MSAA.
This means you will not be able to use the Virtual Cursor, Navigation Quick
Keys nor Say All; you can only read correctly line by line, and sometimes it is
difficult to activate links.
Spanish-speaking users have the portable application Ebook Reader, developed by
Juan José Montiel. This program is primarily intended for supporting screen
readers, but it have two important problems: the tree view does not display the
table of contents in levels when appropriate, and, since the reading area is an
edit box with class Internet_Explorer_Server, it doesn't allow clicking on any
link, which turns this program a bit inconvenient on books with many linked
footnotes.