From: JAWS-Users-List [mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On Behalf
Of Mike B.
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2017 12:35 PM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] What is this Jaws file.

Howdy Mr. Ed,

Short explanation:
The JAWS settings backup files are saved with an SBAK extension. This backup
file can then be easily imported on any computer running JAWS 18 or later and
Long explanation:
What's New in JAWS 18 - Part One
This is Google's cache of
http://doccenter.freedomscientific.com/doccenter/doccenter/rs25c51746a0cc/what's%20new%20in%20jaws%2018%20part%20one/02%20What's%20New%20in%20JAWS%2018%20-%20Part%20One.htm.
It is a snapshot of the page as it appeared on Sep 15, 2017 19:56:08 GMT.
The
current page
 could have changed in the meantime.
Learn more
Full version
Text-only version
Tip: To quickly find your search term on this page, press Ctrl+F or ⌘-F
(Mac) and use the find bar.

What's New in JAWS 18 - Part One

NOTE: For those of you participating in the live Webinar, the following link
will open the documentation in a new browser window.

New Features Added in JAWS 18

The following features are new to JAWS 18. For more information and complete
demonstrations, go to the FSCast web page  and listen to episodes 131 and 132.

Migrate Settings from Prior Versions of JAWS

We have reintroduced the ability for users to merge all user customized
settings from the prior version of JAWS into the latest version. This includes
any application and default settings, scripts, dictionary entries, graphics
labels, PlaceMarkers, flexible web rules, personalized web settings including
custom labels, speech and sounds schemes, and voice profiles. When JAWS 18
first starts after an install and it detects that there are custom user
settings for JAWS 17 available, you will be asked if you want to migrate these
settings to the current version of JAWS. Choose Yes to migrate your settings
from JAWS 17, or choose No to start with the default settings in JAWS 18 and
launch the Startup Wizard.

Once the settings have been migrated, a dialog box opens where you can
configure the JAWS startup options. This dialog box contains the same options
found in the Start JAWS Options dialog box, which is accessed from the JAWS
window by opening the Options menu, Selecting Options, and then choosing the
Automatically Start JAWS button. Once you have confirmed how you want JAWS to
start, choose OK to save and close the dialog box.

NOTE: Due to significant changes to the settings file structure prior to JAWS
17, custom user settings can not be migrated from versions of JAWS older than
version 17.

The Migrate Settings Dialog box in JAWS 18

The Migrate Settings Dialog box in JAWS 18

Completely New Import and Export for JAWS Customized User Settings

JAWS 18 now enables you to quickly and conveniently export all of your JAWS
user settings including application and default settings, custom scripts,
dictionary entries, graphics labels, PlaceMarkers, flexible web rules,
personalized web settings including custom labels, speech and sounds schemes,
and voice profiles to a single backup file which can be stored or shared with
other JAWS users.
The JAWS settings backup files are saved with an SBAK extension. This backup
file can then be easily imported on any computer running JAWS 18 or later and
these settings will be used by that copy of JAWS.

To export settings to an SBAK file, open the Utilities menu located in the JAWS
application window, open the Import/Export menu, and select Export Settings.
The Export Settings wizard opens and guides you through exporting your
settings. During this process, you can choose to export all user settings, or
select specific settings to export. By default, the SBAK file is saved to the
Desktop using the name JAWS<Version Number>SettingsBackup (where Version Number
is the JAWS version currently running when using the export feature). You can
specify a different location and file name if necessary, as well as add
optional comments to provide more information about why you are creating the
backup.
Once the export is complete, the SBAK file containing your settings can be
shared with other JAWS users through email or a file sharing service such as
Dropbox, or stored on a USB flash drive.

To import JAWS settings from an SBAK file, open the Utilities menu located in
the JAWS application window, open the Import/Export menu, and select Import
Settings. The Import User Settings wizard opens and guides you through
importing the settings. By default, the import will merge the settings from the
backup file with existing user settings and if a setting in the user folder
conflicts with a setting from the backup file, it will be replaced by the
setting from the backup. However, you can also choose to simply replace all
current settings in the user folder with the contents of the backup or, when
merging and there is a settings conflict, you can choose to keep the current
setting.

During the settings import, the current settings in your user folder are
automatically backed up. If you find that the settings that were imported from
the SBAK file are not working as expected, you can restore the previous
settings. To restore, open the Utilities menu located in the JAWS application
window, open the Import/Export menu, and select Restore Settings. The Restore
Settings dialog box opens where you can select the backup file to restore.
Choose
the Restore button to replace the current settings in your JAWS user folder
with the settings from the backup.

Some instances of when you might use this feature include:

list of 4 items
• You want to use the same JAWS settings on multiple computers, such as in a
training center or school computer lab.
• You create a lot of customizations and you want to be able to back them up so
you can easily import them when you install a new version of JAWS, elliminating
the task of having to manually reconfigure everything.
• A friend would like to use some of your flexible web rules and voice
profiles. You could use the Export Settings wizard to only export these
particular settings, send the resulting SBAK file to your friend, and if they
are running JAWS 18 or later, they can import the file containing your flexible
web rules and voice profiles into their copy of JAWS.
• A script developer could send you a SBAK file containing custom scripts and
settings for an application that is used at your job and the Import Settings
wizard will quickly import all settings and script files to the correct
locations in your JAWS user folder.

Take care.  Mike.  Go Dodgers!
Sent from my iBarstool.
Arguing with a woman is like reading a software license agreement.  In the end
you have to ignore everything, & click I agree.