I don't think you're doing anything wrong. You need to install the just-released public version of JAWS 2018 to take advantage of expanded OCR capabilities that allow you to scan documents using a flatbed scanner or Pearl camera and convert them into speech. Earlier versions of JAWS lack this feature. For more information on the JAWS 2018 expanded OCR function, see this article:

http://www.perkinselearning.org/technology/posts/jaws-2018-and-expanded-ocr

Gerald

-----Original Message----- From: jyandt.mar...@comcast.net
Sent: Thursday, October 26, 2017 9:17 AM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: [JAWS-Users] Scanned Image and JAWS OCR

Morning all.

I just scanned a copy of my discharge papers from the US Coast Guard. After saving it, I tried to open it and read it using JAWS OCR. I pressed the JawsKey and Spacebar. Then I hit O for OCR, and then D. I heard a piano chime, but nothing from JAWS after that. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong on this? I went into my pictures folder in This PC to get the properties on the image, but could not get any specifics on it. I am running JAWS 17 and Windows 10 on a Dell laptop. I am also using a Canon CanoScan scanner. Thanks in advance.

Jerry