From: Rebecca Lineberger
Sent: Saturday, November 18, 2017 5:45 PM
To: jaws user's list
Subject: [JAWS-Users] Using JAWS OCR

There have been several questions about OCR and saving the scanned results.
This is what I did.  This is a bit detailed, so delete as you please.
Smile.

I'm using Windows 10 1709 Creator update, Jaws 2018 and Word 2010.

I have several image files saved so was able to test using these formats"
PDF and JPG.

Rather than first opening the PDF file, waiting for the

"alert, empty document,"

message,  and then scanning with the layered keystrokes, insert-spacebar, o,
then d,

with the PDF file selected in a folder in Documents, I used the context menu
key, also known as the application key, and arrowed down to

Recognize with JAWS.

I pressed enter and after a second or two, JAWS said

Started.

The scanned information was there to read.  I was able to select and copy it
with the usual Windows commands, either shift-down arrow to select, or
control a, to select all, and control c to copy.

I then pasted the results into Word, and there it was, to be saved as usual.
I did not try to save in Notepad, assuming that if all worked in Word,
notepad would be no different.

As to the second format,  a print letter with an embedded picture, scanned
in Kurzweil and saved as a JPG image, it worked a bit different.

All went the same until I pasted the copied information into Word.  Again, I
used the context menu key on the file name to arrow to

Recognize with JAWS.

I was told that the image was right-side up, and there was the text waiting
to be read.  But when I copied and pasted it into Word, Word was not happy,
smile, and kept giving me information about

non-uniform tables, row and column information.  Rather than playing with my
table settings in the JAWS quick settings menu, I figured notepad might be a
better option in this case.

When I pasted the same copied results into notepad, the file read as it had
when scanned by JAWS.

At this point, just because I prefer saving in Word, I reselected the
information in notepad, copied it, and pasted it into Word.  Word was no
longer cross, muttering about tables, so all was well.

For those who have made it to the end, HTH.  Smile.

Rebecca

A mind is like a parachute.  It doesn't work if it isn't open.