I've done something like this but maybe not as spontaneous as you and your niece are envisioning. I would use Text Aloud on my Windows PC and generate audio MP3 files for a blind friend to create audio Bible study lessons. In Text Aloud there are ways of inserting changes in speech voices, adding pauses, etc. I would use different voices for the lesson content and the actual scriptures when read within the lesson. I learned the codes and would work up a document in Word. Then, I could paste the entire text into Text Aloud and either generate an immediate reading out or generate an MP3 file.
HTH,
Jeff