Have others encountered progressively slower performance, to the point of
becoming unusable, while editing a document in recent releases of Microsoft
Word 2016 with JAWS 2018? Change tracking and comments were used, and may
have contributed to the problem.

I've had worse results with comments and change tracking in prior versions
of JAWS and MS-Word, including crashes of both Word and JAWS. I've also
experienced similar problems using a different screen reader, so I suspect
it's related to Microsoft Word and its interaction with assistive
technologies via Microsoft's UIA framework or whatever is used for this
purpose.