Robin, no question, JAWS has made what used to be a simple task difficult, and
I have no idea why. It would help if you explained exactly what you want to do.

Meanwhile, first, you can select "punctuation" in the JAWS quick settings
dialog. I realize this isn't exactly customizing punctuation, but maybe
changing this setting when you go to that application will give you some
flexibility.

Second, David Ferrin, one of this list's moderators, posted instructions a
while ago that just might help, even though at first they might seem only
indirectly related to your query. My guess is to skip the "navigate to default"
step:

Assigning A Keystroke To Adjust Punctuation On The Fly.
1. Press, Insert + F2, to open the Jaws Manager.
2. Go to Keyboard Manager and press enter.
3. Navigate to Default, & then tab 1 time to get into the list of options.
4. In the Default keyboard manager list navigate to Set Punctuation Level If it
says none. That means there has not been a keystroke assigned.
5. Press the Alt key to open the menus, & right arrow to Action. Then down
arrow to Add Keystroke, & press enter. Or press control + A which is the
shortcut for assigning a keystroke.
6. Insert a keystroke combination like control + dash for example. If the
combination is already being used for another command jaws will tell you. Doing
this in the Default Keyboard Manager, allows this keystroke to be used in all
applications.
7. Tab to the Okay button, press the spacebar, then a dialogue will open asking
if you are sure you want to modify the default JKM. Press the spacebar on the
Yes option.
Now, every time you press the control + dash keystroke it changes the
punctuation level. So press the control + dash keystroke until you hear the
punctuation level you want.
If you ever want to change or remove the keystroke, simply repeat the above
steps.