Hi Ted,
concerning your first question. One way of setting the folder view to
either list or details is to use the following shortcuts.
If your computer's display language is American english, then the shortcuts
are ctrl+shift+5, and ctrl+shift+6 respectively.
If your computer's display language is UK english, then the shortcuts are
ctrl+alt+5, and ctrl+alt+6, respectively.

David.