When you boot up Thunderbird you should be in the in box..but it won't actuate.  Tab once and you will be in the tree view.  Tab twice and you will be in the list view of your in box where you can open messages, etc.  Use your arrow keys (down arrow probably because the in box is at the top of the tree) to find the folder you want and tab once to its list view.