Thanks Adrian; as well as Dave and Rebecca. I will follow the instructions for using the JAWS find, as my MS Word find has taken an apparent indefinite vacation. But I am really curious as to why it stopped working to begin with; as it had worked perfectly before.

-----Original Message----- From: Adrian Spratt
Sent: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 12:41 PM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Find Function in MS Word 13

Hi, Jerry.

Dave and Rebecca have posted the JAWS alternative that works fine in most instances. However, the MS find function can be helpful in other ways, so I'd like to try to suggest what may be going wrong for you.

With JAWS find (JAWS key+control+f), you can only search for whole words. So if you remembered the word you wanted was a verb such as "talk," but not whether it was talked, talking, etc., you'd have to search over and over until you landed on the place you were searching for. MS find isn't limited to words; you can also search for partial words, etc.

Another nice feature of the MS search function is that it will tell you how many instances of your search string appear in the document, and also which one you're focused on. JAWS find does none of that.

Finally, with MS find you can search for paragraph breaks, tabs and other useful targets. Again, you can't do any of this with JAWS find.

In my experience, the first time I open an MS find, nothing happens. I press control-f, type in my search string, then press enter. Nothing. However, I then press control-f again and JAWS verbalizes the search string I just typed. Now I press enter, and I'm taken to the first instance of that string.

Here, take care to listen on pressing that enter key. You will be given the context, such as the entire line where the result appears. You'll also be told to click on "Next" for the next instance. If you've arrived where you want to be, press escape to exit the find function. If you're looking for a different instance, press the spacebar.

If you move on to the next instance, you're now told the number of examples of this string in the document and which of those instances you're focused on, as well as the current context.

The MS find function isn't completely consistent. For example, sometimes it commences a search the first time I do the find command, sometimes not. It took me some getting used to, and like Rebecca and Dave, I most often use JAWS find. but learning how to work with MS find was well worth the trouble.