From: JM Casey
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 04, 2018 9:45 AM
Subject: [JAWS-Users] JAWS volume and Eloquence

Hey everyone.

I'm using Windows 10 and JAWS 18. I recently switched back to the Eloquence
synth more-or-less full-time after using Vocalizer for a year. I'm quite
happy, except that I find the synth is too loud, relative to other sounds on
my system. There are no controls for volume in my JAWS options, so I went
into Windows volume mixer and turned it way down, to around 20%, which seems
a level I am happy with. Only thing is, now something strange and slightly
annoying is happening. If I don't use the voice for a little while, as in,
maybe ten seconds or more, when it starts up again, it is quite quiet, and
then gradually increases in volume. It's a small thing but I would kind of
like the volume to remain at a consistent level. I've tried experimenting
with volume levels in Windows to get the perfect balance, but it is
surprisingly difficult. In general I don't want JAWS or system sounds to
overwhelm things like media players, but everything always seems just a
little too loud or too quiet, and of course there are other factors one
always has to consider as well, such as the relative volumes of disparate
media files, which I am ok with as I'm not a fan of auto-normalisation and
such. This thing with JAWS trying to boost its own volume is strange though.

Any thoughts from the group?