Hi Eileen,

The inbound and outbound mail is automatically being scanned by Avast.  I
have given a link to their web site where they discuss technical aspects of
their program.  After the link, I have shown just a few paragraphs of
information from their page.

Standard resident protection
Resident protection (the real-time protection of the operating system), is
one of the most important parts of an antivirus program today. Avast!
features a powerful resident module that is able to detect a virus before it
has any chance to infect your computer.

Avast! Home Edition contains resident protection of the computer file system
and a resident module for e-mails and news.

File system protection ensures that no virus will be started on the
computer. It offers a wide range of settings, such as the possibility to
specify that files will be scanned during copying, or that the scanning will
include files with given set of extensions only.

E-mail/News protection consists of two independent modules; first, there is
a generic scanner working on the SMTP/POP3/IMAP4/NNTP protocol level. It is
capable of protecting any existing e-mail client that uses these protocols.
Second, there is a special plugin for MS Outlook only; the mail scanning is
completely transparent, requiring no special settings.

A new feature of version 4 is heuristic analysis of e-mail scanners. This
feature can protect against new, unknown viruses and worms that are not
possible to detect by the usual means. The heuristic module performs a
thorough investigation of every e-mail message and watches for suspicious
signs, that might announce virus presence. When the number of those signs
exceeds a user-defined level, the message is considered dangerous and the
user is warned.

P2P and IM Shields
Avast features a module for the protection of IM (Instant Messaging, "chat")
programs, and a module for the protection of P2P (peer-to-peer) programs.
The list of supported IM and P2P programs is extensive with more than 30
programs currently supported.

While chat itself would not impose any serious security risks in terms of
viruses, today's IM applications are far from being just chatting tools:
most of them support more or less sophisticated file sharing methods - which
may quite easily lead to virus infections, if not properly monitored.

The P2P protection module doesn't need much explanation - on today's P2P
networks (such as Kazaa) there are thousands of infected files, and an
effective protection is a must.

Take care and have a great day!

Brian Lee
[EMAIL PROTECTED]