-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of David
Griffith
Sent: Saturday, June 28, 2008 4:15 PM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Opening An Attachment

I am afraid   PPS is bad news for us.
It means that it is a  PowerPoint slide show and they have notoriously  poor
accessibility. If it could be sent to you as a ppt  file life would be
easier.

Unfortunately accessible programs like Ed Sharp do not work well with PPS
files even though it can handle PPT files fine.

Basically the only way you are going to make this pps file accessible is to
open this file within PowerPoint. You can then save it as an outline which
will produce an accessible rtf version containing any readable text.

Associating this file type is a waste of time. Trying to open a PPS file by
double clicking will simply produce a slide show which in my experience has
no accessibility at all for a screen reader and will not allow you to access
editing or save menus to change the format.

By all means send the file to me and I will try to produce an rtf version
which can be read in word. The extent to which this is  successful will
depend on the extent to which  accessible text has been put in the slide
show in the first place.

Another approach might be to do a virtual scan with Kurzweil.

Whoever is sending you PPS try to discourage then from using this format.

Regards

David Griffith

My email address to send the file to is [EMAIL PROTECTED]