Hi Kate,
You can turn off (ignore) Flash in configuration manager:html options:misc tab: check the ignore flash check box.
Roger
----- Original Message ----- From: "Kate" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 4:53 PM
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Beyond Surf's Up: Need tips foradvanced real-worldsurfing

Hi, could you tell me how to turn off flash? I like to have it for websites like youtube but I have to say it can become somewhat of a nuisence otherwise. I'd like to know how to control it better.

Thanks,
Kate> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]> To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com> Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 16:36:54 -0800> Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Beyond Surf's Up: Need tips for advanced real-worldsurfing> > Hi,> I understand your frustration. To help clean-up the screen make sure that > Inline frames are turned off, and maybe turn off flash content. More > restrictive searches really can also help. I also find that a links list > can speed up your web navigation especially with sites containing hundreds > of links. My few words of help may not add very much, but I am on the same > page with you.> Roger> ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Deborah Armstrong" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>> Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2008 2:06 PM> Subject: [JAWS-Users] Beyond Surf's Up: Need tips for advanced > real-worldsurfing> > > >I am an experienced user, so I'm looking for tips more than perfect> > solutions.> >> >> >> > Do any of you others have this problem? Web pages seem to be getting less> > convenient. I'm not talking about inaccessible. You can read everything > > fine> > -- just inconvenient. Kind of like putting the wheelchair ramp out back > > with> > the dumpsters instead of near the building's front door.> >> >> >> > It used to be that when I googled for information, I'd find a variety of> > mailing list archives with interesting posts. Or I'd find pages that> > individuals created about that particular topic. But today, I tend instead> > to find wikis and web forums, and sites with so many ads that I have to > > read> > hundreds of lines of irrelevant data only to discover a single line of> > content, like "no search results matched your query"!> >> >> >> > In wikis, half the links you select go to a page, with the same pleuthora > > of> > links and the message: "You have followed a link to a page that does not> > exist yet." If it doesn't exist, why do links take me there, anyway? I'd> > feel more charitable about contributing to a wiki, if they didn't insist > > on> > wasting my time!> >> >> >> > For another example, web forums will have more lines of text devoted to> > trivia about who the user is, how many times he's posted, and when he > > joined> > the forum and whether he's online, rather than what content his message> > contains. And often the post turns out to be something like "I need the > > same> > information" or "That's a good idea." This is the sort of thing you might> > say on the phone to a friend, but wasting bandwidth posting it seems > > really> > nuts.> >> >> >> > Ad-supported sites don't seem to have any simple way to skip to the > > content> > directly. For a good example, just look at amazon.com. If they hadn't> > invented amazon.com/access, I would've stopped shopping at amazon a long> > time ago. But ten years ago, way before JAWS had quick keys, amazon was a> > pleasure to navigate with screen access! And it worked fine without any> > fancy virtual cursor!> >> >> >> > Web forums are a nightmare. Every forum page has a list of posting rules,> > thread tools and other clutter that I wish were in one place and not on> > every single page. I don't want to reply, change my font size or submit > > the> > post to digg -- I just want to READ the darned thing! I don't care if> > smileys are on, and how many cups of coffee the user had, I want to know> > what he has to say!> >> >> >> > Yet, other blind people are regularly accessing these things and not> > complaining, so what am I missing? For example, the Hadley School for the> > Blind and the AFB both have active web forums. There is a JAWS wiki, > > though> > the only thing I could actually find in it was a list of JAWS mailing > > lists.> > And many blind people put up blogs on sites full of advertising! And even> > with blind bloggers' sites, you have to skip past reams of the irrelevant!> >> >> >> > I am familiar with the quick keys for surfing of course. But they rarely> > work in this Brave New Web-world. On websites devoted to product reviews > > and> > downloads, using H or number keys to move between headings takes me to> > headings with words like "recommended" "other categories" and "download"> > only it's a link to download something I'm not interested in. Try the > > winamp> > page for example -- it's easy to download a trial version of the > > commercial> > product by mistake.> >> >> >> > On wikis, headings only appear if the user who edited that page added the> > appropriate HTML code. There are lots of links, visited and unvisited > > links> > and many promising other page elements you can quick-key around. But most > > of> > those wiki-links lead nowhere. It's like being in one of those> > text-adventure mazes! You are enticed by promises of cattegories, but how> > can you tell which lead to only empty pages? I had planned to contribute > > to> > the JAWS wiki but after spending fifteen minutes and finding nothing, I> > decided that a well-written contribution belonged elsewhere!> >> >> >> > And on web forums, it is rare to see a heading at all. In blogs, you see> > headings only if the blogger is a screen reader user, and even then not > > all> > the time. I guess some of the readers have more patience than I do.> >> >> >> > Typing N to navigate to the next non-link text, usually takes me to an ad. > > I> > can learn all about increasing my sex appeal or how to get a stuffed > > gorilla> > absolutely free, but it's not the way to learn about a particular product> > I'm researching. Often a page will have a full and fascinating product> > review, but I actually have to read the entire text to locate it.> >> >> >> > Typing M to go to the next frame is equally useless. It jumps between more> > ad frames and skips any content the page might contain.> >> > And that's a big might. It feels like I could read for hours before > > actually> > reading any real information. Sometimes I do. Sometimes I am surprised to> > find a large hunk of information nestled among the google ad frames and > > the> > invitations to create teknurati tags. But sometimes, all that web page> > structure is there, but content is not.> >> >> >> > I've tried lots of other quick keys too -- O for object elements, d for > > next> > different element, L for lists, I for individual elements etc. I know > > basic> > HTML, so I'm ahead of many JAWS users, but how should I know what sort of> > HTML was used to create any particular page? The JAWS quick keys help when> > reviewing content I'm familiar with, but if I'm familiar with it, I often> > don't need to review it!> >> >> >> > The keystrokes for navigating form controls are useful when I'm done> > researching -- actually buying something. I do appreciate the hard work > > that> > has gone in to making it easy to navigate a web page with structure. But > > it> > feels like these new web pages lack structure. In a forum for example, > > there> > appears to be no element you can navigate to position your virtual cursor > > at> > the top of the text of an actual post.> >> >> >> > Yet there must be some sort of structure. My husband, who is sighted can> > quickly find information, and he certainly doesn't read the entire page to> > do it. When asked to analyze his process he says that he skips past the> > menus and toolbars and ads. Why can't this work so well for us JAWS> > users?Why do all these great commands for skimming past unwanted material> > work best on web pages designed by or for blind people?> >> >> >> > And more important, how do the rest of you JFW users surf for information,> > without it consuming your entire life? I work full-time, I sleep, I'm a> > homemaker, I try to fit in some exercise. I want to be able to fix an > > audio> > problem on my PC, research the appropriateness of a video for my little> > nephew, find a good recipe using arugula, or locate a good mexican> > restaurant in Indianapolis. And I want a simple search like this to not> > consume an entire night! The question is what am I missing?> >> >> >> > --Debee> >> > Deborah Armstrong (formerly Norling)> >> >> >> > Visit the JAWS Users List home page at:> > http://www.jaws-users.com> > Visit the Blind Computing home page at:> > http://wwwblind-computing.com> > Address for the list archives:> > http://www.mail-archive.com/jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com> > To post to this group, send email to> > jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com> > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]> > For help from Mailman with your account Put the word help in the subject > > or body of a blank message to:> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]> > Use the following address in order to contact the management team> > [EMAIL PROTECTED]> > If you wish to join the Blind Computing list send a blank email to the > > following address:> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] > > > Visit the JAWS Users List home page at:> http://www.jaws-users.com> Visit the Blind Computing home page at:> http://www.blind-computing.com> Address for the list archives:> http://www.mail-archive.com/jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com> To post to this group, send email to> jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> For help from Mailman with your account Put the word help in the subject or body of a blank message to:> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> Use the following address in order to contact the management team> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> If you wish to join the Blind Computing list send a blank email to the following address:> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
To post to this group, send email to
jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
For help from Mailman with your account Put the word help in the subject or body of a blank message to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
If you wish to join the Blind Computing list send a blank email to the following address: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Visit the JAWS Users List home page at:
http://www.jaws-users.com
Visit the Blind Computing home page at:
http://www.blind-computing.com