Yes, I've done this before with putting a 1 or a 0 in the cell so that I
could count how many rows met a certain criteria.  So for example, if I want
to keep track of how many people had paid their dues, in the Paid column I
would enter a 1 if they paid, or a 0 if they had not.  Then I would have a
total cell at the bottom of the column.  Another way to do this is with the
Count function.  This is helpful when you have more then 2 criteria.  An
example would be keeping track of how many people paid via cash, check,
credit card, and those who had not yet paid.  You assign a value to each of
these criteria, i.e. 0=not yet paid, 1=cash, 2= check and 3=credit card.
You then set up a cell for each criteria that you want to get a total on
using the Count function.  So you would have 4 cells set up, 1 to count the
total number of cash payments, 1 for counting total number of check
payments, etc.

Unfortunately, I can't tell you off of the top of my head how to set up the
count function.  Over the next few days, I will try and find a spreadsheet
where I set this up and see if I can provide you with more info.  Maybe
someone else on this list can help sooner.  You might want to post this
question to the Blind Computing list as this is more of an application
question then a JAWS question.

HTH,
Annette