Hi Kathy,

I am one of the people who use the Skype out service with a phone.

Although my phone is a VOIP phone, you can use it with a normal phone, but
you will have to get a USB to RJ11 adapter.

Basically, this adapter plugs into the USB port of your computer, and allows
you to plug in a regular phone into the jack on the other end.

I have it on good authority that if you get one of these adapters and plug a
regular phone into it, you can actually press the star key and hear Jaws
coming through the phone, thereby allowing you to scroll through your
contact list and stuff like that.

I can probably get you the model of that particular adapter and where you
can get it from if you want it, but I can't think of the model number
off-hand right now.

My actual VOIP phone is a model V-Tech phone with both internet and regular
phone line service.

It has the power adapter, and two line outs, that being for the USB cord and
the regular RJ11 cord.  I can use the phone with Skype and with a regular
phone line when a call comes in.

It's really easy, and if you have Skype out service, you can simply dial the
telephone number that you're calling, without the area one at the beginning
of the number, in other words, you just input the ten digit phone number,
and press the internet button, and Skype dials automatically.

I paid a total of 110 Canadian for my phone, and you can actually three way
call a regular telephone call, with a Skype call, however, as the visual
display does not talk, I really can't use that feature.

The downside to this phone is the fact that if you keep the phone plugged in
when booting up your computer, for some strange reason, Jaws goes completely
silent, and I have to bring up NVDA to shut down Jaws, then restart it
again, at which point it comes back speaking.  Very peculiar indeed.  Grins.

The phone also comes with software that starts automatically when your
computer starts, so it's always running in the background.

Just to bring this back to Jaws, the software isn't all that accessible with
Jaws, however, all one really needs to do is install it, and get the status
information on whether the phone is plugged, the V-Tech software is running,
Skype is running, and the Sound is good.

Usually, you can glean this information using the Jaws cursor, or the
virtual cursor, so the software isn't a total loss.  Smile.

You can probably get these types of phones or the adapters from Radio Shack,
The Source by Circuit City, or Best Buy.  I also believe that Wal-Mart sells
these devices, on their website, but don't quote me on that.

If you'd like some more information on this or the Skype out service, feel
free to contact me off-list at:

victor.gouv...@rogers.com

Hope this helps.

Victor