have a read of this I got it a few days ago might be something that could
help
Sightless accounting
Written by NetGuide Contributor
Monday, 16 February 2009

In what is believed to be a world first, a New Zealand software company,
Accomplish Ltd, has created accounting software specially modified to enable
efficient use by the blind and visually impaired.

"We're told this is the first accounting software in the world that has
stood up in user tests by blind people," said the company's general manager,
Grant Hewson, at the launch of the 2009 edition of its CashManager software.
"Obviously, this is attracting a lot of interest from organisations serving
the blind and visually impaired, not only in New Zealand, but also in
Australia, the United Kingdom and the USA.

"It's really an example of Kiwi ingenuity helping to solve a global problem
in terms of providing good access to the benefits of modern technology for
blind people, as well for the movement impaired."

LINK:
http://nz.accomplishglobal.com/

The accessibility of the product is endorsed by Neil Jarvis, Executive
Director, Access, Innovation and Enterprise for the Royal New Zealand
Foundation of the Blind, who comments: "We welcome any move which improves
accessibility and equality for blind and partially sighted people,"

Jarvis adds: "In December last year, we undertook a software audit of
CashManager 2009, examining a series of tasks by sighted and blind testers
who don't usually use financial software. It worked well with adaptive
technology software and, in terms of accessibility, we're happy to recommend
the product to blind or partially sighted people for managing their small
business finances."

Jarvis explains that blind people use screen reading software which
verbalises letters or numerals as they are typed, and verbalises the
position of the cursor in pull-down menus or in dialogue or command boxes.
Screenreaders and magnifiers are also used by people who are partially
sighted, along with font, colour and contrast enhancements.

The software's development has been assisted by blind entrepreneur Terry
Bartlett, of Dunedin (pictured above), who stumbled on CashManager while
searching the Web for accounting software he could use when he started his
own business two years ago.

"I was taking a big risk going out on my own, and it was pretty scary,"
recalls the Managing Director of Corner Enterprises Ltd. "I didn't know how
I was going to be able to write quotes, or send out invoices, let alone
handle money, reconcile bank accounts, keep track of GST and taxes and so
on."

Bartlett's business is based around teaching clients touch typing, designing
Web pages, providing advice on IT and accessible technology, as well as
assisting customers with property management and even organising coal and
firewood deliveries.

Over time Bartlett jotted down ideas on how Accomplish could make the
software even better for the blind or visually impaired user. "They
responded very positively," he says.

Hewson says Bartlett helped the company realise there was a new niche market
for its software.

"Our technical and programming people were only too pleased to make the
improvements he was suggesting, many related to everyday use by someone who
is blind or visually impaired.

"Whilst driven by the needs of blind people, the changes suggested by Terry
and the Royal New Zealand Foundation of the Blind have resulted in enhanced
usability for all keyboard users. The changes indirectly benefit those with
occupational overuse syndrome, limited mobility or simply a preference for
using the keyboard," adds Hewson.

Originally founded in Australia almost 20 years ago, Accomplish today is
headquartered in Auckland and serves some 25,000 small to medium business
enterprises with accounting software designed specifically for New Zealand,
Australian and United Kingdom needs.

SOURCE URL:

http://www.netguide.co.nz/20090216895/sightless-accounting.php

please visit our website: