Thanks.  I opted for the first suggestion.
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: RJ
  To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
  Sent: Saturday, May 23, 2009 11:40 AM
  Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Messages being marked "collapse"

  There are three things you can do.

  First  if you don't want the subject line to ge grouped by conversation. Alt
  + v for view. Enter on the first choice of the menu. Arrow up until you go
  to group messages by conversation and enter on it. This will uncheck this
  option.

  If you like to group your messages.
  Alt+ t for tools and go to option and enter
  Under the read page there is a  option to open collapse  messages. Check it.
  Or simply use the right arrow to open the compact messages and left arrow to
  close