I tried your instructions, but when I typed "mu" into the default Keyboard Manager, I got no match. I browsed through all the entries that start with the letter M, but I could not find anything that sounded like "Mute Synthesizer". I'm running JAWS 9. Am I doing something wrong?

Gerald
----- Original Message ----- From: "Flor Lynch" <florl...@iol.ie>
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 02, 2009 2:49 PM
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] How to turn on/off speech quickly?

Hi Donnie;

1.  Get into the keyboard manager with JAWSKey+8.

2.  Press ctrl-shift-d to get into the Default keyboard manager.

3.  Now type mu to get to "mute synthesizer".

4.  Press ctrl+a to Add a keystroke to this script.

5.  Press your keystroke (which could be, say, ctrl+shift+m).

6.  Tab through and observe the dialogue.

7.  OK your change.  Save. Exit.

8.  note that pressing your assigned keystroke once again will unmute
the synthesizer.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Donnie Parrett" <deparr...@prtcnet.org>