I recently purchased an appliance from GE and I downloaded the manual from the site. HTH
Jo Luland
----- Original Message ----- From: <markzalew...@northwesternmutual.com>
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Wednesday, September 16, 2009 10:31 AM
Subject: [JAWS-Users] (no subject)

Message: 4

Date: Wed, 16 Sep 2009 08:40:48 -0400

From: "Francis E. Khan" <fek...@tstt.net.tt>

Subject: [JAWS-Users] Unable to read Microwave manual with JAWS

To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>

A friend scanned a GE microwave manual and saved the file as a 2003 Word
document.  However, when I tried to read the file I was informed by Jaws
that there were 441 objects and when I used the down arrow cursor to
read other material I heard Jaws say Section 1 and it stopped at Section
4.

Whehn I tried to use the Jaws cursor, I could read a line telling me to
plug in the appliance before using it.

Any suggestions for dealing with this vexing problem?  Alternatively,
can I get a copy of a GE Microwave manual in a format that can be read
by Jaws?

Francis Khan

Mark Zalewski

PC Team

Phone: 414-661-1380

I don't think JAWS can handle .pdf files to well.  It's quite possible
that when the manual was scanned it was turned into individual pictures
of each page, which JAWS can't read.  There are many Optical Character
Rendition programs that can convert a scanned picture with text into a
readable document.  Perhaps your friend can try using one of them to
convert the .pdf to a .txt file.

</pre><font face=Arial>This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential information of Northwestern Mutual. If you are not the intended recipient of this message, be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this e-mail and any attachments is prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify Northwestern Mutual immediately by returning it to the sender and delete all copies from your system. Please be advised that communications received via the Northwestern Mutual Secure Message Center are secure. Communications that are not received via the Northwestern Mutual Secure Message Center may not be secure and could be observed by a third party. Thank you for your cooperation.</font><pre>