Thank you, Don, This was a helpful explanation. Yahoo's mail page has something on it saying that automatic page updates might cause a problem for screenreaders and giving a link for screenreader users to click. I would have copied the text exactly, but the page got all jumpy when I tried to select text. I have clicked the link that's supposed to help, but don't see a difference. Sometimes the Yahoo mail page works all right. Other times, and for the life of me, I don't think I do anything differently, that application mode comes on. . When that happens, I just try to leave the site, and sometimes I can't even do that. I haven't tried the Jaws 11 beta yet to see if there's a difference. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Donald Marang" <donald.mar...@gmail.com>
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 19, 2009 3:09 PM
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Application mode question

I think they are using new technology to make their site more interactive. These Web 2.0 web sites act more like a stand alone application! I know FS is working to enable JAWS to continue to use these sites. The new web 2.0 sites are very dynamic and get updated frequently. This makes it very difficult for screen readers. It is also difficult for me to learn how to use such dynamic sites without vision! I suppose it will be possible if I and the screen reader can concentrate on a portion of the screen. But that's what the sighted love about these sites. For instance, they use a site like FriendFeed.com to watch several real time services such as twitter, facebook, RSS, and more all at once!

FS says that JAWS 10 and especially 11 have incorporated technologies like ARIA (Accessible Rich Interactive Application) and UIA (User Interface Accessibility). I am not certain about those acronyms. I think most of the work here is done within JAWS and should be transparent to us. The "Application mode" should indicate that this site works more like an application. I have seen some sites like Google Voice and Google Mail provide keyboard shortcuts for almost every function. Sometimes these hotkeys have a conflict with JAWS. To confuse things more, Google is working on allowing sites like Google mail to be pulled off and work off-line like a stand alone application when using their Chrome browser. Currently, Chrome is completely inaccessible because it is based on the webkit open source browser engine. The technology and code that might make webkit accessible was just developed at the makers of System Access in a desperate attempt too make the new iTunes for Windows accessible again! More exciting is the fact that they did this as an open source project. This means that the code will be made publically available and added to the open source webkit project for everyone's benefit! Note that among others, Safari Chrome, and ITunes 9.0 all use webkit. I hope Freedom Scientific and all of the other adaptive technology developers implement similar solutions.

Sorry I can't tell you how to navigate and use a particular web site / application? For the most part, they are addressing accessibility, but I don't think everyone agrees on how to implement and use these new technologies yet. I would love to see some documentation and tutorials from Freedom Scientific on how to use JAWS on these Web 2.0 sites.

Don Marang

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ann Byrne" <ann...@sbcglobal.net>