Or use narrator, which isn't really another 'screen reader'. Couldn't you use a previous version of JAWS? I could. I have found in the last few versions that, so long as one doesn't shift-tab over the fields, I can (by tabbing forward, to the OK button. No need for the Apply button) successfully add a hot key to the desktop shortcut of the version of JAWS for which it is to be set. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Baracco, Andrew W" <andrew.bara...@va.gov>
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 5:23 PM
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] shortcut key for starting JAWS

The JAWS install does not automatically create a shortcut hot key. The
desktop shortcut is created, but no hot key.  You need to do this
yourself as described below.  The only thing that I have found is that
if you do this using JAWS, the hot key wil not stick.  The only way I
have been able to do this for JAWS is to do it using another screen
reader.

Andy