From: "Jon Pierson" <joncpier...@comcast.net>
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Thursday, October 15, 2009 5:38 AM
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Word backups

Hi Vicki,
I Googled "word 2003 backups stored in" and got a page containing:
This info applies to versions up through 2003.

"When you turn on the backup
feature, Word saves backup files by appending or prepending some special
text to your file name. In some versions of Word, the WBK filename extension
is
used instead of the familiar DOC. In other versions of Word, the DOC
extension is used by Word adds the phrase "Backup of" to the beginning of
the document
name.

Let's say that you have two directories, and in each one you have different
documents but each has the same name, as in MyLetter.doc. If you have
backups
turned on, and Word allows you to specify where the backups are placed, then
the names for the backups of the two different files would be the same
(either
MyLetter.wbk or Backup of MyLetter.doc), and two files with the same name
cannot be saved in the same folder. The solution is for Word to simply keep
the
backup copy of a document in the same folder as the original copy. That way,
you don't run into naming conflicts at all."

Jon