I am using jaws 11.

From: "Donald Marang" <donald.mar...@gmail.com>
Sent: Sunday, January 24, 2010 10:46 AM
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] jaws does not says unread message

You did not say which version of JAWS you were using. My guess is that you are using version 10 based on this problem. Freedom Scientific has done a miserable job of supporting any Windows 7 mail cclient other than Outlook! Considering that they have supported Outlook Express and Windows Mail in the past, it is unbelievable that they have little interest in supporting Microsoft's successor, Windows Live Mail. I have been told that another JAWS upddate will be coming out soon that improves the useability of Windows Live Mail. I hope they get it right this time! Many Windows 7 users have switched to Thunderbird 3 and wrote their own scripts in the community since Freedom Scientific refuses to listen to the needs of their users.

To get to your problem. I had found that JAWS 11 will announce unread and attachment status in Windows Live Mail. However, it currently is very problematic to read or compose mail using JAWS 11. I have found that Windows Live Mail works reasonably well with JAWS 10! I know this makes no sense, but ask Freedom Scientific how that could happen. The most annoying flaw in JAWS 10 for me was that the graphics for unread and attachment status were not defined in a JAWS .JGF file! I ended up labeling these graphics myself and it now works fine. Try thee following steps to see if this helps. If Freedom Scientific does notget it right with the next upgrade, perhaps a migration to Thunderbird is in order.

1. First make sure that within the Windows Live Mail application that it is configured to read labeled graphics. Without Configuration Manager set this way, the message status will never get read.

2. Temporarily set the verbosity to read all graphics by pressing Insert + V, then press G until you hear "Graphics". Press Space until it announces "all", then hit Enter. .

3. Move to an unread message, then route the JAWS Cursor to the PC Cursor and switch to the JAWS Cursor by pressing Insert + NumPad minus (-) followed by the NumPad minus (-).

4. Move on top of the unnamed graphic to the left of the message by pressing Control + Left arrow.

5. Press Insert + G to label the graphic. Type in "unread" without the quotes, and hit Enter.

6. Press the NumPad plus (+) to make certain that the PC Cursor is enabled.

7. Move to a message with an attachment, then route the JAWS Cursor to the PC Cursor and switch to the JAWS Cursor by pressing Insert + NumPad minus (-) followed by the NumPad minus (-).

8. Move on top of the unnamed graphic to the left of the message by pressing Control + Left arrow.

9. Press Insert + G to label the graphic. Type in "attachment" without the quotes, and hit Enter.

10. Press the NumPad plus (+) to make certain that the PC Cursor is enabled.

11. Set the verbosity back to read labeled graphics by pressing Insert + V, then press G until you hear "Graphics". Press Space until it announces "labeled", then hit Enter. .

Hopefully this will solve your issue.  It did for me!

Don Marang