To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 28, 2010 18:10
Subject: [JAWS-Users] Avast downgrade to 4.8 instructions

Hello.

For those of you who want to go back to using the free/pro edition of
4.8 until its updated, here are the links and instructions for removal
of 5.0.

Firstly, if you have tried to uninstall avast using ad/remove programs
and it hasn't worked for what ever reason, its recommended that you
download the removal utility from the following link and run it. follow
all on-screen instructions, and this should remove any traces of avast
from your system. They did recommend running this in safe mode, but i've
tried running it as admin without going in to safe mode, and it works
perfectly fine.

http://files.avast.com/files/eng/aswclear5.exe

Now, here are the 2 links for avast 4.8. Just download either the free
edition or professional edition depending on which edition you have used
in the past, reinstall it, reenter your licence information, and you're
good to go.

Pro edition:

http://files.avast.com/iavs4pro/setupengpro4.exe

Free Edition:

http://www.soft32.com/download/63-347246-1/setupeng.exe.

My intention was not to create a dispute on the list, nor was it to
start a debate on which anti-virus is best. It was mearly to tell other
jaws users that I have contacted avast regarding those issues, and
they've agreed to look in to the issues for us, we can't ask fairer than
that. Microsoft haven't really looked in to many issues for
freedomscientific, VI users weren't even taken in to account when the
newer versions of office came out, and when their new silverlight
software was released, as well as when msn messenger changed to windows
live messenger. they've always waited for people like freedomscientific
to catch up and clean up their mess and make programs accessible, and
always will. I wouldn't like to rely on them too heavily, i've had too
many experiences of them getting a windows update wrong and the next
thing i know, my system is rendered useless until they release a fix.

As i said earlier i didn't mean to cause offence, Nor am i telling
people which anti-virus to use, as long as yours does the job you're
good to go. i will keep the list updated on the progress of avast's new
release which should, we hope, be compatible with screen readers. I hope
this information has been of some help to all.

Best to all,

Mo.