Thank you so much for this alternate. Isn't it wonderful the variety and choice that we get from computers for solving our human problems.

Lloyd
----- Original Message ----- From: "Mobeen Iqbal" <mobeeniq...@gmail.com>
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Friday, May 07, 2010 9:16 AM
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] problems with student word 2007

Hi.
This can also be achieved by doing the following:
First, highlight a text file that you would like to be opened by wordpad instead of another program. Press applications, then go down until you hear open with. If jaws says open with..., and you press enter, you will be presented with a choice of programs to open the text file. In this case, you will want to select wordpad, then press tab to the always use this program to open this type of file check box, and make sure that is checked. Then, press tab to OK. If, however, Jaws says open with submenu, then you will need to press enter to go in to the submenu, then go down to choose program. Then the choose program dialogue as described above will come up, and you will need to select wordpad, check the always use this program to open this type of file checkbox, and click ok. I hope this helps. this method can be used to select an association for any file type. If for any reason your chosen program isn't listed, all you would have to do is tab to the browse button and select it from program files, though i've rarely if ever had to do this.

Mo.

Steve wrote:
Hi Lloyd,

If you want word pad to open text documents, instead of Microsoft Word 2007, do the following in XP:

1.  Open your control panel.

2. Go to folder options, by hitting the letter F until you hear folder options. This assumes that you have set the control panel to classic view as is recommended by Jaws and other access trainers.

3.  Once you open the folder options, control tab to the file types tab.

4. When this list opens, it will have hundreds of items in it. For example, mine has 459 items. If you hit the letters T and X quickly, you can land on txt files. If you aren't that quick with your fingers, then just hit the letter T until you get to .txt document.

5. With .txt highlighted, tab over to the change button and press spacebar.

6. You will be in a list of programs that can open .txt documents. You want wordpad as your default, from what I recall. You can arrow down until you find WordPad. Then, tab and there will be a checkbox which says always use this program to open this file type. Make sure that box is checked.

7.  Tab to the Ok button and press enter.

By way of an explanatory note, the file types tab that you are in tells Windows which program to use to handle that specific file extension. It will save these settings until you delete that association. That is why you find a delete button in the list prior to the change button. There is also a New button if you haven't created a specific association between a certain file type and a program.

One might inquire as to why you would change an association? I used to associated all my .zip file extensions with the WinZip program. However, a year ago, I decided to delete that association and now I use Windows XP native unpacking utility instead. I can still use WinZip or another zipping/unzipping utility if I want, but it is not automatically initiated as it would have been when I had the .zip file extension associated with the WinZip program.

HTH, Lloyd

Take my advice, I don't use it anyway.

Steve
Lansing, MI