To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Sunday, July 18, 2010 7:06 PM
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Upgrading my Windows program

Francis,

A couple things to consider...

First, is there a driving need for you to upgrade? Windows XP with SP3 will be supported by Microsoft into 2014. So, you could get another three years out of your current computer.

Second, consider your computer. How current is it in terms of specs, etc? Run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor available at Microsoft.com to be sure your system will support Windows 7 and whether you need to update drivers for printers, scanners, etc. I've worked on some clients computer systems where we had to purchase new printers or scanners because their scanner didn't have drivers for Windows 7. This is particularly the case for 64-bit versions of Windows (the 32-bit versions are harder to find in pre-configured systems).

Third, is their a particular reason you need Win 7 Pro? It does have XP emulation, but that may/may not be supported in Jaws, and it is rarely needed except for certain specific programs. I know some gamers for example who use it. Unless you have specific needs, Home Premium would be adequate. Note, with Win 7 Pro, you will need the Professional Authorization of Jaws.

As for price, Professional will be about $200, versus around $100-125 for HP if you look around.

Hint: you can actually do a full installation from an upgrade disk, which would save you some money.

Take my advice, I don't use it anyway.

Steve
Lansing, MI
----- Original Message ----- From: "Francis E. Khan" <fek...@tstt.net.tt>