Hello Rick,

Alt+Y is what I use most of the time.  There is a workaround for programs a
person uses quite often so I thought I would mention it here.  For the most
part, I think it is a good idea to leave UAC in its default Windows 7
setting and use Alt+Y as necessary.  There are some definite security
benefits including the use of the secure desktop by UAC in its default
setting, the use of file system and registry virtualization, and the IE
protected mode.  Windows 7 allows people with standard user permissions to
do more with administrative type procedures than what Vista allowed.  In
Windows 7, even though the user account is administrative, users work under
the standard user token until a change or program requiring administrative
permissions is realized.  Administrative user accounts are given two tokens
by Windows 7 when logging into Windows, and the account works with standard
user permissions unless administrative permissions are needed.  If programs
are written in such a way that they change system settings and require
administrative level permissions then the UAC presents itself.

I have done the workaround for CCleaner and Malware Bytes, as I use those
programs quite often.  If you are interested, in effect you create a task
for starting the program using the highest elevated privileges, and you
create a shortcut to that task.  Here are the steps I used for CCleaner:

1.       Press the Windows key to open the start menu.
2.      Use an arrow key to move focus off of the search box and then press
C until you find the choice for "computer."
3.      Use the application key or shift+f10 to bring up the context menu.
4.      Use up or down arrow key to "Manage" and press enter key.
5.      If JAWS loses focus and doesn't open in the computer management
window then press Alt+tab until focus moves there.
6.      Use down arrow key and if System Tools is not opened then use right
arrow to open the level.
7.      Use down arrow key to the choice for task scheduler.
8.      Press Alt+A to go into the actions menu, and then press the letter R
to bring up the dialog box for creating a task.
9.      Type in a name for the task.  You might want it to be the same name
as the program you will be opening with the task.
10.     Tab once to the description edit box and type in any additional
description you want to use.
11.     Tab to the "run with highest privileges checkbox and check it by
using spacebar.
12.     Use CTRL+tab until you move focus into the actions page of the
dialog box.
13.     Tab to the "new" button and use spacebar.
14.     A combo box comes into focus and the choice should be "start a
program."  If it is not then use down arrow key until that choice is
selected.
15.     Tab past the program/script edit box to the browse button and press
spacebar.
16.     Use shift+tab to the tree structure and navigate to the folder
containing the executable to use.  Tab into the item list view and move
focus to the executable file.  For CCleaner, first move to the tree
structure.  Press C until you get to the Computer choice.  Open it if
necessary.  Use down arrow key to the hard drive.  Open it with right arrow
key if necessary.  Move down to program files(x86) and open it with right
arrow key.  Use down arrow or press C until you find CCleaner and open it
with right arrow key.  Press enter key to set the selected CCleaner folder
in the tree structure.  Tab to the items list box and find CCleaner.EXE by
either pressing C or using down arrow key.  (Of course, if you are setting
the task up for a different program then browse to the program's
executable).
17.     Tab to the open button an press spacebar.
18.     Tab to the OK button and press spacebar.
19.     Tab to OK again and press spacebar.
20.     Use Windows D to move to the desktop or use Alt+tab to the desktop
if it is open as a window.
21.     If anything on the desktop is selected use CTRL+spacebar to take
selection off the item.
22.     Use application key or shift+f10 to bring up the context menu,
23.     Use down arrow key to the "new" menu, and choose "shortcut" from the
submenu.
24.     Paste the following into the edit box:
schtasks.exe /run /tn CCleaner (or replace the CCleaner part with whatever
you called the task).
25.     Tab to the "next" button and use spacebar.
26.     Type in a name for the shortcut.  (I just used CCleaner as the
name).
27.     Tab to the finished button and use spacebar.
28.  Using that shortcut should now open CClenaer without the UAC prompts.

You can of course disable UAC in Windows 7, but in my opinion, doing so does
away with some pretty good security.

Take care.

Brian Lee
brianl...@charter.net