Hello list,
I'm still back on Windows XP myself, but I've encountered a problem with a client's 64-bit Vista machine running 64-bit JAWS and the 32-bit Microsoft SAPI 4 synthesizer or speech engine.

This client has been accustomed to using the Mary voice from Microsoft SAPI 4, and wants to continue using it. I installed the two files I've always installed on 32-bit Windows... spchapi.exe and mstts.exe, and I did use Run as Administrator on each, because I know this can sometimes cause problems with software installs on Vista and later.

I got the Program Compatibility wizard at the end of each install, but as I saw no errors during install, I selected the This program installed correctly button on the wizard.

I then went into JAWS Voice Profiles under Create a new profile and tabbed to the Detect SAPI 4 synthesizers, but 0 items show up where I should see the Microsoft Speech Synthesis Engine listed to add.

I installed NVDA 2010.2 and it has no problems seeing or using the engine, but I think this may be because NVDA is actually a 32-bit app which just happens to run well on 64-bit Vista. By the way, this is 64-bit Vista with SP2 installed.

The problem with this is that I've also tried the 64-bit USB thumb drive version of JAWS on this same machine, and I paste below directly from the USB Thumb Drive FAQs and Downloads for JAWS and MAGic page:
http://www.freedomscientific.com/downloads/jaws/JAWS-MAGic-usb-drive.asp

Can I use a synthesizer other than Eloquence?

Yes, you can use any SAPI 4, SAPI 5, or RealSpeak Solo Direct synthesizer with JAWS or MAGic for USB thumb drives, as long as that synthesizer has been
installed on the computer.

---
Okay, obviously the synthesizer's been installed on the computer, because NVDA can see and use it, so either FS needs to correct this FAQ item, and be specific about 32-bit and 64-bit, or I'm encountering some other issue that's preventing 64-bit JAWS from seeing this 32-bit speech engine.

I'm hoping someone else on the list can offer me some side advice on this so I'm not just getting feedback on it from FS tech support. I seem to always get this particular person in tech support and I'd just like some non-FS feedback on this, so I can hopefully be sure I'm doing all I can for this client.

Has anyone managed to install the 32-bit Microsoft SAPI 4 synthesizer on 64-bit Vista and been able to see and use it under 64-bit JAWS, and if so, what steps did you follow? And if anyone on the list has already been through this with FS tech support and the response was that 64-bit JAWS can't see a 32-bit speech engine, please advise me. Also, if anyone on the list can see and use this 32-bit Microsoft SAPI 4 synthesizer on 64-bit Windows 7 under 64-bit JAWS, please advise on that, as this would at least be an option for this client, though a pricey one.

I'm also interested in this for myself, as I prefer the older Microsoft SAPI 4 Mary voice. I knew a day was eventually going to come when I wouldn't be able to use this voice any more, but I didn't expect it this soon. I've read a Windows 7 tip where one can run the Speech control panel on 64-bit Windows 7 to see, select and use 32-bit speech engines and their voices as the default voice, but this trick doesn't work under Vista, or if it does, it's not working on this particular Vista machine, because all I can see is still just the 64-bit Anna voice. But if 64-bit Windows 7 can see and use 32-bit speech engines for the default voice, it seems 64-bit JAWS ought to be able to do the same. This is why I'm trying to get some sort of confirmation outside FS I feel I can trust on this.

SAPI 5 Mary isn't an option for this client. If I can't get SAPI 4 Mary to work on this client's machine under JAWS, then some other voice will need to be found to satisfy them. I think if seeing and using Microsoft SAPI 4 under 64-bit JAWS just doesn't work that FS should at least see what they can do to make it work, because I think it's a shame this voice simply can't be used any more all due to some strange quirk of 64-bit JAWS.
--

-Greg Epley
Thinkzo Systems

jaws-users-list-ow...@jaws-users.com