Hello Mike,

Here is what your friend can try to remove merging from all pairs of merged
cells:

1.  Select the range of cells starting with the first merged pair through
and including the last merged pair.  If the range is a10 through a100 then
use CTRL+G, type in a10:a100 and press enter key.
2.  Use CTRL+1 to open the Format Cells dialog box.
3.  Move to the alignment page tab by using CTRL+Tab key.
4.  Use tab key until the checkbox for merging cells is selected and use
spacebar to remove the checkmark.  Be sure to use spacebar until JAWS says
that the checkbox is not checked.  For some reason, I have had to press
spacebar a couple times to get the checkmark removed.
5.  use tab key to the OK button and press enter key.
6.  Move to a10 and use down arrow key to make sure that merging has been
removed.

I am not sure what caused the merging of the pairs of cells.  If one pair
gets merged and then a range of cells gets selected and a function like
filling cells down the range happens then this might have been the result.

Take care.

Brian Lee
brianl...@charter.net