Hi Steve,

Thanks for that additional information.

DERICK

-----Original Message-----
From: jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com
[mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On Behalf Of Steve
Sent: 04 April 2011 09:03 PM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Maximum memory for the XP operating system

It has nothing to do with the operating system in the terms of XP, Vista, or

Windows 7.

Maximum memory is determined by whether you have a 32-bit or 64-bit system
architecture.  My guess is you have 32-bit because I think I've only seen
64-bit versions of XP in the Pro series.  You can get Vista or Win 7 home
editions with 64-bit systems.

The maximum memory in a 32-bit system is calculated as 2 times the 32nd
power minus 1.  You are basically limited to 4 GB, although in practicality,

Windows won't recognize more than about 3.5GB.  64-bit systems are almost
unlimited, I've seen 16GB and I am sure you could theoretically get more but

don't know of any that have any more than that.

Steve