Hi, All.

I feel a bit silly for asking this, but I currently do not have a Braille
display with a Braille keyboard so cannot test myself, and I am still
uncertain of the answer to this question even after reading all of my screen
reader's commands for one such display. I am looking in to my options for
one of these displays in terms of which one I will purchase, and so that I
am on the same page with whomever might be reading this, the products to
which I just alluded are JAWS 12 running on a 64-bit edition of Windows 7
and a Focus 40 Blue Braille display. Anyway, I am wondering how one would
simulate the arrow keys, both by themselves and in conjunction with modifier
keys, when controlling one's computer via the display? For instance, let's
say that I am navigating a tree view. On my computer's QWERTY keyboard, I
use the UP/DOWN ARROWS to move between items within the same level (and I
presume that the Whiz Wheels set to List Mode or the rocker bars of the
Focus can be used for this purpose?), and the LEFT/RIGHT ARROWS to
expand/collapse levels (and this is where I am uncertain?). I am aware that
ENTER and BACKSPACE (i.e., Dot 8 and DOT 7, respectively, on the Focus) can
be used to move between levels as well, and I presume that this would work,
but BACKSPACE does not collapse any level; if I wished to explicitly
collapse a level in order to have less items to move through with UP/DOWN
ARROWS or first-letter navigation, I would press the LEFT ARROW twice on a
QWERTY keyboard, but again, this is where I am uncertain as to how it would
be done when controlling one's PC solely from the Braille display? As
another example, suppose that I wish to utilize the
ALT+CTRL+LEFT/RIGHT/UP/DOWN ARROW commands when navigating a table. I assume
that I would begin by pressing DOTS 3-6-8 CHORD to simulate the CTRL+ALT
modifier keys, but then what? Again, how do I simulate the arrow keys? The
only thing I can think of is to use DOT 3 CHORD (i.e., the Previous
Character command) to represent a LEFT ARROW, as this command would be
replicated as such on a PC (i.e., LEFT ARROW moves one back a character on a
QWERTY keyboard), and, in a similar vein, DOT 6 CHORD for RIGHT ARROW, DOT 1
CHORD (Previous Line command) for UP ARROW, and DOT 4 CHORD as the DOWN
ARROW. Am I correct in my thoughts, or are the arrow keys simulated in
different ways when performing commands such as the above?

Thanks much in advance for any assistance; it is much appreciated. I'm sure
that something incredibly rudimentary is escaping me here and thus
preventing me from figuring this out, *sheepish grin*. I look forward to
hopefully being straightened out!

Best,

Maria