Dear Mr. Jim,

First of all, I meant no offense and did not intend to cany name calling. "Geeky" in my book is a compliment rather than a deragotory term but then my "book" is a bilingual one and I may not always get the terminology or register of language right. So again my apology as no offense was intended.

I am absolutely self-taught on the computer also back from the dos days when I reformatted and reinstalled my first computer at least half a dozen times in one weekend before I had it up and running properly. I did learn how to install the os and programs that way for sure! (I was sighted then though.)

I know what I can and cannot help with, though. i'm afraid I have never touched or even just seen a vista or win 7 system and would be foolish to give advice on it. I know about services a little bit but feel at home only with xp and 2k. I wish I had a box capable of handling 7 as I would love to learn the current os but we have father old hardware here that will not handle a newer os.

I learned the hard way also to not necessarily trust tech support people. They may know some things but may not have any idea about some others and especially not when access technology comes into the picture. I may also be too critical of some people though. I do want to know what is being done to my system and would read up on any changes anyone proposes to make to it. I also would never want anyone just make some changes to my system that I do not understand and do not know how to reverse. I am probably some help desk persons' nightmare at times.

To learn more about windows services and what to disable or leave, you might want to google for something like "windows 7" and "disabling windows services". This should turn up some results that give a list of services under win 7 with what they do and what can be turned off. I do have such listings for win xp and will be glad to share but could not guarantee that or how much of the information is relvant under win 7.

Again my apologies. I have utmost respect for anyone learning computers - or anything for that matter - on their own. I respect anyone who is willing to learn something new and doesn't expect to be spoond-fed. I wish I could help more with your quest but I am not qualified. I am sure there are others on this list who are more up-to-date with their technology and who will be happy to help you out. I was just outraged at the idea of someone telling you to turn off all the services. It makes me wonder now if there was a misunderstanding. I wish you all the best of luck and success with your quest and hope you come out with a nicely tuned and obediently and happily running system and also with some new experience and the kind ofthrill I feel when having solved a problem or accomplished a task or goal.

Sincerely

Doris