Your experience could be made easier by turning off the preview pain, and
unchecking showing messages in groups, unless you like the group messages view.
 To turn off the preview pain, hit alt v, followed by pn, then arrow down to
off, and hit enter.  If you want to uncheck show messages in groups, hit alt V
followed by a and b, then arrow up twice and hit inter on show messages in
group.  This will make your experience a lot smoother.  HTH