From: jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com
[mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On Behalf Of Don Marang
Sent: Tuesday, February 21, 2012 10:55 AM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Jaws slower in responding with imap accounts than
pop with Outlook 2010?

Post Office Protocol (POP3) has a much simpler interface with your email
server on the web than Interactive Mail Access Access Protocol (IMAP).
POP3 just retreives everything in your Inbox on the server at regular
intervals.  By default, it then deletes the messages from the Invox on the
server.  The message is only on your PC at this point.

IMAP synchronizes folders on your email server with the folders on your PC
email client.  The messages remain on the server until they are deleted.
This is what makes IMAP better for use when reading email from different
computers and devices.  Each device is synchronized to have the latest, will
not miss messages read on another device, or need to delete the same
messages on different devices.  These are problems you will likely encounter
reading POP3 email on a computer and a smart phone.  IMAP synchronizes
several folders, like Drafts, Sent Mail, Junk Mail, and Trash.  It might
also synchronize other archive or labels in Gmail.  If it is working slower
than expected, perhaps it is synchronizing more folders or details than
necessary for you.  Most clients have ways, usually through using the
Applications key on the folder, to set which folders should be synchronized,
or hidden.  It is also possible to indicate that for this folder, just
synchronize the headers rather than the entire messages.  Reducing the
amount of work the client needs to perform to keep up with your email will
make it snappier!

*Don Marang*
Vinux Package Development Coordinator - vinuxproject.org
<http://www.vinuxproject.org/>