Hi Ann and Vicky,
There are actually two ways to create folders in Outlook 2010.
As Ann has indicated, one way is to have folders as "sub-folders"  within
the In Box which is, a folder.
However, you can create folders in the list called Personal Folders.  It
isn't easy but probably the reason you can't find those folders is that they
are within the In Box.
Delete all of the messages from your In box.
Press Control Y  to access the folder list.
Move away from and then come back to the In box.
You will find that there are still lists within that folder.
If I'm right, just open one of those folders, then locate the Folder
options.
One of the choices is to Move Folder"  and that is what you want to do.
You will be asked to confirm that you want to move the folder.  Then a list
of folders will be shown.  Move all the way up until you find the Personal
Folders indication, make sure that the list is open and then press Enter.
Your folder, formerly within your In Box, will now appear as a separate
listing within the Personal Folders list.
I'm doing this from memory so let me know if I got some of this wrong.
It's been a while.
I love Outlook 2010 but it can be a nuisance at times.

JOHN AND LINDA JUSTICE
WITH GUIDE DOGS JAKE AND ZACHARY
PERSONAL E-MAIL:  john_just...@verizon.net