From: JAWS-Users-List [mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On
Behalf Of Steve
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2013 1:51 PM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] JAWS 14 with Windows 8

Certainly, Win 8 is useable by Jaws 14 etc.

I guess I'm an old fuddy-duddy, comments like what is below don't seem to be
very helpful.  Here are some considerations to bear in mind:

1.  Win 8 layout is completely different from earlier versions.  I do AT
training, and there are several people who have upgraded to Win 8 and
subsequently had their systems rolled back to Win 7.  Yes, there are
workarounds like classic shell etc. but the Win 8 experience is if not quite
radically different, it is certainly a lot more unique that previous
upgrades.

Second, you may not have support for some of your programs in Win 8, I don't
know if Openbook has released a patch to work in Win 8 yet, for example.

If you are getting a new computer, then there are some nice advantages with
Win 8 including Safeboot.  But, since there are so many sighted users
unhappy with Win 8, for my money, I'm sticking with Win 7 which will be
supported for another seven years, and I'll await a more user-friendly
Windows 9 which will probably be out sooner than later.  I think Win 8 is
Microsoft's latest equivalent of Windows ME and Vista, as Herman and His
Hermits would say "A Must to Avoid!"

Take my advice, I don't use it anyway.

Steve
Lansing, MI