From: JAWS-Users-List [mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On
Behalf Of Annette Carr
Sent: Sunday, September 1, 2013 9:15 AM
To: jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Microsoft Word

For clarity sake, here are some definitions that might be helpful.

Header - This is information that is placed in the top margin of a page.

Headings - This refers to a formatting style that you can apply to the
various levels of titles in your document.  For example, the chapter title
might always be placed 2 inches down from the top margin and be centered in
a large font in all capital letters and bolded. The section headings might
be placed at the left margin in the same font size as your text, all
capitalized bolded and underlined.  Sub-headings might be in the same size
as the document text the initial letter of each word capitalized and bolded.
What I have described here is just an example.  MS-Word offers a number of
pre-set styles for headings.  Many of us are also familiar with referring to
headings based on their level in your outline, such as Heading 1, Heading 2,
Heading 3, etc.  So all Heading 1's will all have the same attributes, but
they will be different from all other heading levels used.  Of course,
Heading 2's will have their own set of attributes, as will all other heading
levels that you use.

Footer - This is information that is placed in the bottom margin of a page.

Footnotes - Back in the day of WordPerfect this is what we called the notes
that you referenced in the body of your text.  These were placed above the
bottom margin of the page where they were referenced.  These impacted how
much text you could fit in the body of the document for that page.  The more
footnotes you had the less room there was for your document text on that
page.  I cannot remember what these are called in MS-Word.

End Notes - Rather than having the footnotes at the bottom of the page where
there are referenced, all of the notes are placed at the end of the document
and are numbered sequentially throughout your document text.

Comments - The use of comments is equivalent to making hand written notes in
the margins of your document.  MS-Word gives you the option to have comments
printed out with your document or not.  When I was grading papers this was a
great way to provide feedback to my students. However, since Office 2007,
JAWS and comments have not played well together.

Mark-Up - When you have Mark-Up turned on in MS-Word, all edits are shown in
some type of visual representation or another.  With JAWS 12 and older, I
have not been successful in making use of Mark-Up when collaborating on a
document with others.  At work, many people I work with rely on Mark-Up.

HTH,
Annette