Thanks very much.  I will give this a try and see if Ican figure it out.

-----Original Message-----
From: JAWS-Users-List [mailto:jaws-users-list-boun...@jaws-users.com] On
Behalf Of David Bailes
Sent: Wednesday, September 4, 2013 10:35 AM
To: jaws users
Subject: [JAWS-Users] Windows defender on Windows 8

Hi Dwight,
On windows 8, unfortunately windows defender doesn't appear in the
notification area, making it harder to check its status. However, if it's
running and it detects problems, then I think you'll get notifications about
this.
You can open windows defender by pressing windows key to go to the start
screen, type all or part of windows defender and press enter.
On the home tab, the status of windows defender is shown, but I can't figure
out how to get Jaws to read it. (but see below).
On the Settings tab there's a check box to indicate whether run-time
protection is switched on.
Back to Windows defender status. You can easily user narrator to read it,
without having to turn Jaws off:
1. Open windows defender. The initial focus in the scan button on the home
tab.
2. Press ctrl+windows Key+U to start narrator.
3. Press caps lock key + right arrow to move to the next item, which is
normally the status, and should read "your pc is being monitored and
protected".
4. press ctrl+windows key + U to close narrator.
If you want to you can pin windows defender to the taskbar: when it's window
it open, press windows key + T until you get to the taskbar button for
windows defender, open its context menu, and choose pin this program to the
taskbar.

David.

original message (I've changed the subject)
I have a new HP 64 bit laptop with Jaws 14 and windows 8 with windows
defender.  How do I know it is running?  I can't find a menu for defender or
settings or
anything but the program is listed in the programs files.
Thanks,
Dwight Johnson