The Yahoo help group suggested that I try a different browser.
I tried Firefox instead of IE9.
With Firefox, I can now delete or move one or more e-mails!
The only remaining bug is that it does not show the combo box that it did
before all this trouble.
This combo box allows the user to delete the whole Spam folder of e-mails.

As explained below, I just leave the Spam messages to accumulate, and Yahoo
deletes them once a month or so.

Yahoo mobile mail is quite accessible now.

Best wishes,
Jim Slagle