Thank you so very much, Brian. This did the trick.
Are there other letters I can use in conjunction with the caret key to remove other unwanted symbols like spaces or carriage returns?
Again, my sincere thanks to you.

Pete--- Original Message ----- From: "Brian Lee" <brianl...@charter.net>
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2014 11:28 PM
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] Removing Unwanted Tabs From A Word Document

Hello Pete,

If you want to remove all tabs in the document you can use the Find and
Replace dialog box. When you use CTRL+H the Remove tab of the dialog box is
in focus.  In the Find What edit box type ^t (that is a shift with the
number 6 for the caret followed by a lower case t. Tab to the Replace with box and if you don't want to replace with anything then keep tabbing but if
you want to replace the tabs with a space or something else put what you
want in that edit field.  You can then tab to either the Replace button or
Replace All button. If you use the replace all choice then all tabs will be
replaced with whatever was in the Replace With field.  If you just use the
Replace button you will go one occurrence at a time. You can use insert key
with C to read the sentence or line containing the tab this way and if you
don't want to remove the particular tab then just go to the Find Next button
and find the next occurrence of a tab.  .

Take care.

Brian Lee
brianl...@charter.net