Annette, which Adobe product do you have?
i think you're talking also about a paid Adobe product, whereas most people are just using the free Adobe Reader (which doesn't have OCR capability). Thus, the empty document message arises.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Annette Carr" <amca...@verizon.net>
To: <jaws-users-list@jaws-users.com>
Sent: Sunday, August 31, 2014 12:55 PM
Subject: Re: [JAWS-Users] PDF problem

My guess is that the PDF was created by someone scanning the information in to it. Essentially, the document contains a picture of the contents. You will need to run the document through some type of OCR (Optical Character Recognition) process. If you have OpenBook, you can accomplish this by sending the document out of Adobe and into OpenBook via the Freedom Printer if you have it set up. There is a similar process for Kurzweil or in the OCR package you are using. You can also open the document directly in your
OCR package.  In my Adobe, I have my accessibility options set up to
automatically come up so that I can tell it to run the OCR process right in
Adobe.  If your Adobe accessibility settings are not set up, I'm sure
someone on this list can point you in the right direction as I have not had
to do this in years.

HTH,
Annette