Hi Marlo,

Follow these steps to set Adobe Reader for screenreader accessibility:

 Note that there are links with the Security Enhanced section to explain the
consequences of
unchecking items there, and you may want to find out what they have to say.

1. Start Adobe Reader from your desktop or start menu shortcut.  Go into
preferences with control-k. JAWS lands on an item in a tree view.
If you have been here before, it will be the item you last opened. Arrow
down to Security Enhanced. Note that this is the item below "Security."
Then uncheck these 2 options, the 2nd option is not necessary to uncheck
but, optional:
Enable Protected Mode at startup, needs to be unchecked.
Enable Enhanced Security, does not need to be unchecked.
Note. When making changes in the Security Enhanced section, you will be told
that Adobe needs to be restarted, but you can wait to finish the other
changes first.

2. Launch the Edit menu with, Alt + E, scroll down to the Accessibility
submenu and open
it. Scroll down to the Set-up Assistant and press enter. The Set-Up
Assistant has five screens, but the only change you have to make is on the
last, screen 5 of 5. Go through all the screens, pressing spacebar on "Next"
in each instance, until you reach the fifth and final screen. Here, tab to
the check box labeled "Display PDF documents in the web browser" and make
sure it
is unchecked. It may be checked by default. Then tab to the Okay button &
press enter to save your changes & close.

I'm not sure how much time it takes Openbook to start after pressing enter
on the Freedom Import Printer option.  I think the time might differ from
system to system.  It might take only 15 to 30 seconds but, others say it
can take 2 or 3 minutes.

HTH
Take care.
Mike