Simon, this from the JAWS 16 Beta information:
Enhanced Convenient OCR for PDF Documents
The Convenient OCR (Optical Character Recognition) feature now allows you to
recognize entire PDF documents. Convenient OCR was first introduced in JAWS 13
and allows you to recognize any images visible on the screen in order to access
text contained in the image that would normally be inaccessible to JAWS. This
included inaccessible PDF documents where you could only recognize the
currently visible text.

In JAWS 16, if you open a PDF document and you do not find any text to read,
press INSERT+SPACEBAR, O to access the OCR layer and then press the letter D.
JAWS begins recognizing the text of the entire document featuring a very high
degree of accuracy as the results are not affected by the current screen
resolution, as they are when recognizing the current screen or window. After
several seconds, the contents of the PDF file are displayed in the Results
Viewer for reading. Use standard reading commands to review the text or select
and copy sections of content for pasting in other applications. For example,
you could select all, then copy and paste into a Microsoft Word document, which
you could then save.

Note: The OCR process takes longer for larger PDF files. As text is recognized,
it is added to the end of the existing text already in the Results Viewer. This
allows you to continue reading without interruption as the document is
processed.

robin